I was skeptical at first to invest in any of “The ordinary” products because of the ingredients it contains. Frankly speaking, I was way more confused and couldn’t understand which one will suit my skin type so I went for the one which is suitable for all skin types and chose the safe product to start with. This serum contains 10% of niacinamide and 1% of zinc is a solution for blemished skin.
What is niacinamide?
Niacinamide, also known as vitamin B3 and nicotinamide, is a water-soluble vitamin that is said to work wonders for your skin. Whether you have oily, dry, combination, sensitive or normal skin, everyone can benefit it from including niacinamide in their daily routine. This ingredient is also found in many face masks, creams, cleansers and toners.
Niacinamide said to have following benefits for the skin but they will only become prominant after religiously using the product that contains this vitamin atleast for 4 weeks.
- It keeps your skin firm and healthy
- Helps retain moisture
- Minimizes redness
- Minimizes pores appearance
- Regulates sebum production
- Protects against sun damage
- Treats hyper-pigmentation. Lightens dark circles
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Treats acne and blemishes
- Improves uneven skin tone
For best results, you need to use leave-in niacinamide products and to use it twice daily and follow the instructions on the product ofcourse.
Now coming towards how my experience was, I read numerous reviews, watched various Youtube videos and researched on ingredients and finally this particular one I thought would be safe to use. After hearing too much about “The Ordinary”, I decided to give it a try myself to treat stubborn blemishes on my skin. I had terrible acne breakout during my early 20s, which left dark marks and spots which hasn’t faded completely to date. My skin type is combination, more towards the oily type, and is also sensitive.
I started using this serum in March and was waiting for it to finish before sharing my honest and complete review.
What it really did for me?
- Evened out my skin tone. I can feel the difference after using the products for three months
- Lightens my dark circles. I didn’t have very dark circles to start with but whatever I had, I can observe the positive difference.
- Has substantially reduced the appearance of white and black heads.
- I can see that my face don’t produce that much oil it use to before using this product.
What it didn’t do:
- Blemishes. It has not completely faded them but I can say that it has lightened them maybe up to 30%. For them to magically disappear from my face, either I have to continue using this product for longer period of time or invest in a serum which has higher concentration of niacinamide.
- Pores. I can’t say whether the size of my pores has reduced or not because I couldn’t seem to analyze it but since I can feel less sebum production and less appearance of white heads, maybe the size has been reduced but I couldn’t say for sure
As for that 1% zinc, I really am not sure what that did for my skin. But if you ask me whether I will invest in it again? My answer will be NO. Because I might invest in a serum that has a higher percentage of niacinamide since I know that it really does produce effective results with continuous use.
You can apply this serum as a stand alone or you can mix it up with your favourite moisturizer but be sure to check the ingredients of your moisturizer whether niacinamide would be safe to use with your moisturizer.
Please note that this review is based on my skin type and different people can experience different results based on their frequency of usage and condition of the skin.